Proudly Serving Douglas & El Paso County - Call For A Free Estimate
Pests We Treat In Colorado Springs: Bed Bugs
Bed bugs hide in and around beds and other furniture, allowing them to feed on people — usually while they sleep. They are good at hiding in luggage and other personal belongings, which is typically how they find their way into a home.
After being introduced into a home, they hide in the mattresses and box springs, headboard, railings, baseboards, night stands, electrical sockets, and wall coverings. They can also be found in picture frames, behind wallpaper, and anywhere else near where people sleep. Although bed bugs are not known to carry diseases, bed bug bites can become itchy red welts, similar to mosquito bites.
Facts About Bed Bugs
- Bed bugs lay one to five eggs per day, and up to 500 eggs in a lifetime.
- Bed bugs can live up to six months without eating a blood meal.
- Bed bugs can withstand temperatures from nearly-freezing to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pest control treatments for bed bugs can vary depending on the size of the infestation, but most cases require an initial treatment with two follow-up treatments every fifteen days, and then a minimum of six monthly treatments. This process of treatment ensures that the infestation is completely resolved.
Most treatments are made to box springs, mattresses, headboards, footboards, wall voids, electrical outlets, couches, nightstands, and dressers. Residual materials (aerosols materials designed to kill bed bug eggs on contact) and insect growth regulators (which inhibit the adults from reproducing) help to achieve pest control in a safe and effective way.
Preparation is essential to any bed bug management program. Preparations include, but are not limited to:
- Dry clothes in a dryer for a minimum of 45 minutes. The heat will kill any adults bed bugs or bed bug eggs that may be present.
- Remove sheets and bedding from the mattress and box spring.
- Make sure to set the mattress and box spring along one wall.
- Remove all items from closets, night stands, and dressers. Place everything into plastic bags.
- Place plastic bags in areas that won’t conflict with the treatment, such as a garage or bath tub.
These preparation procedures will allow for the pest control technician to inspect and treat any areas that may be conducive to a bed bug infestation.
Don’t waste time and money on over-the-counter remedies or unprofessional service. Call High Country Pest Control in Colorado Springs for reliable pest control service and a free phone quote today!